Sunday 30 January 2011

Jon Brooks Music - Toronto to Brisbane

 

To my friends in Toronto and Canada more broadly. This afternoon I had the pleasure of listening to Jon Brooks, a Toronto based singer songwriter in a house concert hosted by my good frinds Mark Cryle and Paula Peterson. He sings songs of conscience (my term) and opened with a great version of Buffy Sainte Marie's Universal Soldier. Thie song I've chosen has the longest title in modern folk history but is based on the supposed statistic (quoted by Jon) that 87% of people in jobs are incompetent in their role - the converse of which is to ask the question: what if people were actually doing what they were really good at and found a way to tap their creativity every day.

I like the idea.

Mark Cryle was the support act. He writes some great story songs about local characters and historical events. He's a Librarian Historian and Songwriter.

3 comments:

Unspoken said...

imagine a world where that is the case! I like it too.

Jennifer said...

I like the idea too. I've been in wrong-for-me jobs - I know of which I speak...

Interesting that you brought this up today, I was listening to a radio show in which the guest was an academic talking about the tragedy of our species turning our backs on creativity and fun - and how this has affected us spiritually and cognitively.

You know I love everything about this post and the links in it. I could go on and on.

Cheers, my friend.

Alex Daw said...

Hey Steve

I found this blog the other day and thought of you - the author actually has two blogs - a photo a day in Sydney which makes me a bit homesick...anyways I thought you would like her swimming blog - very nice photos of Fraser - I see what all the fuss is about now....http://swimsallyswim.blogspot.com/